Sewing for scouts! How to sew badges, uniform tips, retired badges, keepsakes, and more. All projects and posts may contain affiliate links. Read our policies here.
The family dog got a hold of this poor Daisy vest! It was left with several ruined patches, and a few holes. The Badge Fairy to the rescue!
These petals had all been "magic"ked-on, so they easily peeled right off! This was the first step in fixing this canine catastrophe. I pulled off all the pieces and ironed it all out to get a better look.
The plan here is to strategically replace the flower pieces to cover the holes as much as possible, and repair what is uncoverable. But we're also going to repair it on the inside, to completely cover the dog bit holes and prevent further tears. So I grabbed another Daisy vest and cut out a circle large enough to cover the entire dog bite area. I placed this on the inside of the vest, covering the entire area...
And then pinned it in place :
Here's what it looks like from the front. I rotated the inside patch before pinning to make sure the fabrics were aligned in the same direction.
Before I started sewing anything, I played with the placement of the pieces. I wanted to try to cover as much of the holes as possible. It would have been nice to be able to cover the larger hole with the promise center, but it was too close to the side seam for that. Here's what I decided on. It leaves only one small tear visible between the green and red petals, which will be easy to repair later; and this also preserves as much as possible Daisy's original layout. And of course, I used all new petals to replace the chewed up ones.
In a normal situation, I would just start sewing on at this point, but here ironing first here is important, so that the petals meld to both the top vest and the circle patch underneath. This will keep everything in place for sewing. So I carefully covered it with a towel - we don't need burned petals too! - and pressed until the glue stuck.
Then I used clear thread on top [Don't let it drive you crazy - see my tips here] and Daisyblue in the bobbin to sew down each petal and the center. Before going over that small tear, I tucked the raw edge of the vest under just a bit to give it a smoother edge when finished. I also carefully removed the pins from the back circle as I went. Broken needles are no fun!
Like this project?
Sign up to get more!
After all the petals are sewn on, here's what it looks like from the front and the back:
Next I finished the edges of the back circle patch by tucking the edges under and stitching (almost) all the way around, careful to not catch the front of the vest.
The final repair step in this project is to hand stitch the little tear between the petals. First I gave it a really hard press where I had tucked under that raw edge to make sure it was as neat as possible. Then I did a few quick hand stitches from underneath the patch to hold it in place. It's hard to take photos while hand stitching, so you just have to believe me. :)
Finally, I added the custom touches that are complimentary with any Badge Fairy uniform service: sew down that floppy neck tag, and add locking pin backs [see my post about locking pins here].
I hope Daisy enjoys her fix! And keeps it away from the dog...
You May Also Like:
About the Author: